Daniel B. Spitzer Litigates on Behalf of Your Business
If you engage in commerce, sooner or later you are almost certain to encounter a dispute with a client or contractor that you’ll need outside help to resolve. Attorney Daniel B. Spitzer has been assisting businesses for 27 years through civil court trials in state and federal courts and alternative dispute resolution. We have the knowledge and experience to help your business in cases related to:
- Unfair practices and trade regulation violations
- Banking and creditor issues
- Breach of contract
- Business torts
- Construction law
- Mechanic’s liens and stop notices
- Boundary disputes and title issues
- Real estate broker liabiity
- Insurance coverage
- Legal malpractice
- Real estate matters
- Homeowners associations
- Common interest developments
- Partnership and shareholder disputes
Recovery from breach of contract or business torts
When a party to a contract fails to perform, he damages the other business. This damage often goes beyond the immediate inconvenience of getting less than promised by the contract. The breach can also cost a business its future profits if it is unable to service customers as a result. Similarly, torts – negligence, professional negligence, unfair competition, fraud, defamation and the like – may cripple a business’s ability to fund operations, maintain its customer base or conduct business.
The Law Offices of Daniel B. Spitzer can help you achieve the best legal remedy for breaches of contract and business torts, such as:
- Compensatory damages — reimbursement for immediate monetary loss
- Consequential and incidental damages — compensation for additional foreseeable losses caused by the breach
- Attorney fees and costs — amounts available only if the contract expressly states they are recoverable
- Liquidated damages — amounts specified in the contract that are payable for particular breaches, such as late or substandard performance
- Specific performance — court order requiring the breaching party to fulfill the terms of the contract
- Punitive damages — penalty for a party’s objectionable behavior, meant to punish an offending party and discourage other parties from acting in a similar manner.
- Rescission — cancellation of the contract, with both sides excused from further performance and payments made under the contract returned
- Reformation — change in the terms of the contract when the court believes there was an honest misunderstanding by the parties about what was to be performed
Affordable alternatives to a civil suit
The cost of traditional litigation can easily exceed the amount of the damages claimed. Fortunately there are various means of alternative dispute resolution (ADR), including mediation, which may prove less costly than civil lawsuits. The Law Offices of Daniel B. Spitzer has successfully represented clients in arbitration hearings and mediations and has settled hundreds of disputes prior to trial, saving clients the expense and time-drain of trial and helping to get their businesses back on track.
Contact the Law Offices of Daniel B. Spitzer to get your business moving again
If your business has been damaged by someone else’s conduct, you need to take action. Delaying the exercise of your rights could mean losing them. Recovering damages could mean the difference between profitability and insolvency for your company. Contact Daniel B. Spitzer online or call us at 818-990-9700 to schedule an appointment.
The Law Offices of Daniel B. Spitzer serves clients in Los Angeles and throughout Ventura County.